We have a lot of questions on the broken-screen tag, and they're all pretty similar but different. There are basically n variables, and you get a slightly different set of possible answers for each combination:-
- only the display is broken, or only the touchscreen is broken, or they're both broken
- USB debugging is already on or not
- an Android version where you have to click a notification to allow MTP, or an older version
- the user wants a full backup or just some files (just contacts, just SMSes)
- device supports usb-on-the-go or not
- full-device encryption or SD card encryption or neither
There's also a set of solutions, each of which is applicable to some subset of the situations. It makes it really hard for visitors to know where to look to find the answer to their question, and just as hard for us to triage new questions, determine if they're duplicates, and if so of which question.
How can we make this situation better? I'd like to get to a situation where it's easy to identify a list of possible solutions that are applicable to a given combination of factors, and to point visitors at that list.