This is a sibling to How should we handle obsolete answers? – but with a completely different focus: while the answers there are simply not longer valid for Android versions newer than X – I'm asking about answers which became completely invalid. Examples:
- How do I send SMS from PC through Android Phone or to Android Phone? Link rot: the recommended service is no longer available (and the website is in "parking mode", i.e. only showing ads and maybe other unwanted content)
- Services and their approaches might have been completely changed. I'm not talking about "Menu › X" must now bee looked for at "Menu › Z › Y" (in that case: Edit the post and fix it! :) – but rather working completely different now, thus no longer matching the question
And other things that "invalidate" an answer in a way not easily recoverable by "edit and fix it".
It would be unfair to the answerer to…
- downvote it (at least if it was a valid answer "back then")
- delete it (unless older than X (180d?)), as the reputation gained by the answer was earned at the time the answer was valid
An option might be to "mark" it:
- prepend a "quoted emphasized" block with details (a la "this answer is no longer valid because…")
- strike-through "broken parts"
- remove "rotten links" (to prevent dangerous affects with new content popping up there)
Before acting in any way, I'd like to see your opinions – and reach a community consensus. So please point out your thoughts!