This is a sibling to How should we handle obsolete answers? – but with a completely different focus: while the answers there are simply not longer valid for Android versions newer than X – I'm asking about answers which became completely invalid. Examples:
- How do I send SMS from PC through Android Phone or to Android Phone? Link rod, the recommended service is no longer available (and the website is in "parking mode", i.e. only showing ads and maybe other unwanted content)
- Services and their approaches might have been completely changed. I'm not talking about "Menu › X" must now bee looked for at "Menu › Z › Y" (in that case: Edit the post and fix it! :) – but rather working completely different now, thus no longer matching the question
And other things that "invalidate" an answer in a way not easily recoverable by "edit and fix it".
It would be unfair to the answerer to…
- downvote it (at least if it was a valid answer "back then")
- delete it (unless older than X (180d?)), as the reputation gained by the answer was earned at the time the answer was valid
An option might be to "mark" it:
- prepend a "quoted emphasized" block with details (a la "this answer is no longer valid because…")
- strike-through "broken parts"
- remove "rotten links" (to prevent dangerous affects with new content popping up there)
Before acting in any way, I'd like to see your opinions – and reach a community consensus. So please point out your thoughts!