I'd like to reword the Android.SE FAQ a bit to clarify what kind questions should be asked and what kind of questions should NOT be asked. I'd like to follow Superuser's FAQs format. I'll start a separate post for the "Should Nots". I think this one is pretty simple and already explained pretty well but I figured the phrasing is still worth discussing.
It may also be helpful to enumerate what type of devices are on-topic.
- Android phones (obviously)
- Android tablets (new and upcoming)
What about e-book readers? The B&N Nook is based on Android. (None of the others currently on the market is Android.)
Google TV is built on Android. I'm actually surprised we haven't gotten any questions about it already. Is it allowed?
All questions on how to USE the Android OS / an Android device.
Some completely made up example titles:
- How can I stop certain apps from starting automatically? Should I?
- How can I export my contacts to a CSV file?
- How can I get my Calendar app to start the week on a Monday?
- How can I send a single SMS message to multiple recipients?
- How do I root my Android device? Why would I want to?
I guess the key here is if you can't phrase it as "How can/do I do X on my device (in this app)?" it's suspect.