There are various questions of the form "How to root [device name]?":
- How do I root the Android emulator?
- How do I root my HTC Hero?
- https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/3/how-do-i-root-my-htc-hero (closed)
- Rooting HTC Hero GSM 2.1-update-1 (188.8.131.52)
- How to get root access on Android 2.2 with HTC Magic?
- How can I root my device?
- How to root a Samsung Spica
- How to root the Samsung Galaxy 5
- How do I root my Chinavasion TechPad 7" Tablet android tablet?
- How to 'root' (or gain root access to) a Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 with Android 2.1-update1?
- How do I root Cruz Tablet?
- What is involved in installing Android onto a device?
And some variants with special restrictions/requirements:
- How to root HTC Desire (Froyo 2.2) without putting in a custom ROM (flashing)?
- How can I root my Droid X with Ubuntu Linux?
Bryan Denny also created an index of rooting how-tos on the internet.
What do you think is the best way to consolidate these? One question per device or a single question for everything?
Here are a few specific open questions:
What do you think is the best format?
- One huge question and one answer for every device (simple to maintain, but too many methods to list on one page)
- One large "index" question that links to a question for each device, with one huge answer for all methods for the single device (I think this strikes the best balance between maintainability and being too crowded)
- One large "index" question that links to a question for each device, with one answer for each method (my personal preference, though it may be difficult to maintain, as there will be hundreds of answer nodes)
- One large "index" question that links to a question for each method and each method is preambled with the devices that is supported with the method (might be a little hard to navigate, but easiest to maintain as answers don't need to be duplicated if an exact same method works on multiple devices, e.g. One click root)
- other ideas?
Where to put the questions?
- I personally prefer the "index" question to be on Bryan Denny's page, but it is also possible to create a new Q.
What to if there is already a good resource outside A.SE? Should we quote/summarizes the most important part here or simply linking is good enough?