I marked this question as off-topic and was overridden by Al as indicated in the comments.
I'm not questioning his decision as a mod at all (Al and I are totally cool! I swear! lol :-D), but I think the FAQ could use a bit of clarification when it comes to off-topic posts. As it stands it's actually pretty vague as far as providing examples:
- every answer is equally valid: “What’s your favorite ______?”
- your answer is provided along with the question, and you expect more answers: “I use ______ for ______, what do you use?”
- there is no actual problem to be solved: “I’m curious if other people feel like I do.”
- we are being asked an open-ended, hypothetical question: “What if ______ happened?”
- it is a rant disguised as a question: “______ sucks, am I right?”
Actually, now that I'm rereading the FAQ it seems like this is the generic FAQ that every SE site gets during beta. Perhaps it's time to start getting more specific in the areas that call for it?