Some fun things I did over the years:
- A multiuser/multitasking DOS-compatible OS... which ran on PC-XTs!
- A distributed inventory/orders system for a computer store chain. Online updates of MDB database content AND structure. In 1997.
- Access control system for an ISP. Kinda Rube Goldberg-ish. Lots of scripts that manipulate iptables to turn users to the login page, dhcpd to give thep IPs, cbq to assign them bandwidth etc.
- A security system for MS-DOS, implementing somewhat-Unix-style accounts and permissions.
- Clustering Asterisk PBXs for call centers.
- Autodialers with detection of human / answering machine / busy / bad number for (I'm going to Hell for this) active telemarketing. Please forgive me.
- A driver to integrate Skype into Asterisk. Even more Rube Goldberg-ish than the ISP login thing.
- Energy consumption billing through a proprietary board that "ticked" a bit in a parallel interface whenever X watts-hours had gone through path Y.
- Linux system-restore CDs.
- Satellite image acquiring through yet another proprietary expansion board, for Brazil's National Space Research Institute.
- REST services with Django.
- Remote system audits in C# using the OVAL language.
- For the retrocomputing fans out there: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cachars
- Lots more I sure forget about now.
Oh, and I just learned CUDA and Greenplum. They're neat. But I didn't get to use either in any project so far. :-/
Things I like for fun:
- Formula One and Indy racing. (You get brownie points if you guess what race my avatar is from.)
- Reading in general, mostly nonfiction.
- Retrocomputing and retrogaming.
- Traveling, preferably overseas.
- Sci-fi in general, and Star Trek in particular.
- Stack Overflow 14.9k 14.9k 1111 gold badges4242 silver badges7373 bronze badges
- Super User 2.4k 2.4k 44 gold badges1919 silver badges2525 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 1.4k 1.4k 99 silver badges2020 bronze badges
- Area 51 685 685 1515 bronze badges
- Server Fault 670 670 22 gold badges1313 silver badges2424 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 1037 INNER JOIN ON vs WHERE clause
- 162 Why are there directories called Local, LocalLow, and Roaming under \Users\<username>\AppData?
- 55 Comicbook short story where a man inherits a clock that tells when you die
- 30 How can I avoid the prompts when installing a FreeBSD port?
- 29 What are the valid characters for Registry keys and valuenames?
- 27 How, exactly, does a Facebook worm work?
- 25 Can any of the popular IM networks work like this?
- View more network posts →